Easy Pot au Feu
Total time: 90-120 mins
2 cans consomme
5 chicken thighs, boneless if desired
3 Italian sausages
2 tsp oil
salt and pepper
8 whole cloves
1 onion, cut into quarters
6 leeks, white part only (if desired)
1 celery stalk, cut in half
4 carrots, cut into 4-inch lengths
2 bay leaves
1 bunch of of fresh parsley (divided)
1 tsp dried thyme (or 1 fresh sprig)
15 small potatoes, cut in half
1 head of cabbage, cored and cut into 6 to 8 wedges
1 rutabaga or turnip, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 cup white wine
1. In a huge pot or dutch oven, heat the oil and brown the chicken (~5min). Once browned, remove from the pot and set aside.
2. Push 2 cloves into each onion quarter add the onions to the pot, along with the leeks (if you are using them), celery, carrots, potato, rutabaga, cabbage and herbs (using a few sprigs of parsley).
3. Pour consomme and equal parts water (use the cans to measure) and 1 cup of white wine over the vegetables. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil.
4. Add the chicken back in and the sausages. Turn down the heat so the pot is on a slow simmer. Cook over medium-low heat for around 2 hours, or until the meat has fully cooked and vegetables are tender.
5. Mince up about 10 sprigs of parsley so as to have 6 tbsp. Sprinkle each portion with about 1 tbsp of the herb.